Re: [xml] Research about vulnerabilities

Raphael,

First, the disclaimers:  I'm not an XML maintainer or even a contributor; and, I've only given this a cursory glance.

Here are my reactions.

First, the routine in question is declared to be of module static scope.  I believe that this means that any exploitation of it would have to be indirect, coming from within LibXML2.

Second, the code appears to properly protect against buffer overflow, so the only exploitation that I see is the one that you illustrated, leaking memory position information.  However, the function in question does nothing that its caller could not do -- it calls malloc() and (in the example you provided) returns the address of what might be a stack location (although, really, it could be any random junk, I think).  By definition, the caller already knows the stack location, and the caller certainly has its own access to malloc().

So, I for one, don't see any weakness exposed by the code which you provided.  This doesn't mean that there is no weakness in LibXML2, but, to find it if it's there, you'll have to interrogate the code which calls this routine.

                Webb