[xml] xmlReadMemory and thread safety?

We're using xmlReadMemory in our application.
This application is running as a unix deamon (server process)
and is multithreaded.
Is the libxml2 function xmlReadMemory thread safe so we can
use it in concurrent threads?

I only could find this article about thread safety and libxml2
(http://xmlsoft.org/threads.html). It only mentions xmlInitParser().

When I look at the linker map file there is no reference to xmlInitParser
when we use xmlReadMemory or xmlReadFile.

I've looked at the possible options (enum xmlParseOption) for the above mentioned
functions.

regards

Rob