Re: [xml] libxml2 for java

On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 08:09:40PM +0000, Jang-Ho Hwang wrote:
Hi guys,

  Heya,

I noticed that there aren't any java bindings in 'Related links' section on
xmlsoft.org.
so I've started to make a Java binding for libxml2 few weeks ago for fun.

  https://github.com/rath/libxml2-java

In addition to making simple JNI binding, I also made interface for JSR
206(JAXP) compatible.
It can be drop in replacement for jdk bundled apache xerces, so java
developers who doesn't know libxml2 api can utilise it with minimal effort.

Any feedbacks would be appreciated.

  hard to get time for me to look at it, and I honnestly never do java
myself, but good idea. I'm sure there was another binding at some point
but never became popular I'm afraid.

Thanks.

  Something i found out recently in a similar binding project for one
of my libs is that using JNA instead of JNI simplifies things a lot,
basically you don't need C glue code just use the com.sun.jna
classes to describe your structures. Way simpler, might be a bit slower
though !
  The main problem on those bindings is proper handling of memory
over long term, explicit document destruction in C v.s. garbage
collected set of linked references, and that i doubt JNA really helps
over JNI.

Daniel