[xml] Extent of support for XSD validation?

(Newbie alert)

Having achieved great initial results and satisfaction with Libxml2, I naturally became more ambitious.

My current application is equivalent to "Windows Search" limited to digging into XML files: the user provides a folder and the application finds the files  that fulfill the specified conditions. My initial (grave) problem was speed but I am glad to report that is a thing of the past (Thanks again, folks!!). See my thread "Dramatic performance gains with Libxml"

     https://mail.gnome.org/archives/xml/2012-September/msg00039.html

My problem now is  that I am hitting too many well-formed XML files, but ones that belong to another domain. IOW: I need to validate them.

The xmllint tool does not seem to be XSD-aware. I did find some comments about XSD in the archives. I naively assumed that adding the following line would be enough to direct the parser to use such validating schema:

<root xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="XYZ.xsd">

TIA,

-Ramon