Re: [xml] (Broken) multi-arch support in xml2-config

On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 03:15:28AM -0500, Daniel Richard G. wrote:
On Thu, 8 Nov 2012, Daniel Veillard wrote:

What was the motivation for trying to shoehorn multi-arch
support into xml2-config?

Avoid keeping a distro specific patch, assuming it would work
elsewhere. What is your suggestion, removal or fixing ?

I would lean toward removal. The problem is harder than it looks,
and even if the code worked perfectly, there's no established
convention (as far as I'm aware) for requesting architecture X or Y
from a foo-config script.

Okay, I reverted that part of 87b4d6f6105658a99b976f812223c8edf4469265

This is, after all, one of the reasons why most folks have moved on
to using pkg-config. I do like the simplicity of xml2-config, and
pkg-config can be a PITA to build on older Unix systems, so I'm not
at all going to say that xml2-config should go away. But I think it
should stay simple--- and projects that want to consume LibXML2 in a
multi-arch-aware capacity should find it via pkg-config, relying on
that framework's mature multi-arch support.

  To me xml2-config is mostly about ensuring portability to platform
where you can't expect pkg-config to work or even be present. I agree
it should stay simple.

Daniel