Re: [xml] (Broken) multi-arch support in xml2-config

On Thu, 8 Nov 2012, Daniel Veillard wrote:

What was the motivation for trying to shoehorn multi-arch support into xml2-config?

Avoid keeping a distro specific patch, assuming it would work elsewhere. What is your suggestion, removal or fixing ?

I would lean toward removal. The problem is harder than it looks, and even if the code worked perfectly, there's no established convention (as far as I'm aware) for requesting architecture X or Y from a foo-config script.

This is, after all, one of the reasons why most folks have moved on to using pkg-config. I do like the simplicity of xml2-config, and pkg-config can be a PITA to build on older Unix systems, so I'm not at all going to say that xml2-config should go away. But I think it should stay simple--- and projects that want to consume LibXML2 in a multi-arch-aware capacity should find it via pkg-config, relying on that framework's mature multi-arch support.

--Daniel

--
Daniel Richard G. || danielg teragram com || Software Developer
Teragram Linguistic Technologies (a division of SAS)