Re: [xml] The issue around LoadLibrary on Windows

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 09:26:13AM +0200, Ralf Junker wrote:
On 25.05.2012 05:01, Daniel Veillard wrote:

So I am tempted to take the patches using the A versions of the Windows
entry point but mainly document xmlModuleOpen and xmlModuleSymbol that
use of character in the given strings outside of ASCII will have
undefined behaviour (optionally we could add the check in the entry
points). That way the API is coherent across platforms, and we
don't change the API/ABI just clarify limitation of use.

  Any strong dissent on doing the above :-) ?

With the world going forward internationally, this seems a step backward.

May I suggest to add xmlModuleOpen8() workhorse which

* operates on UTF-8 Unicode
* is called by libxml and
* could optionally be called by xmlModuleOpen().

This keeps the current API for those who call it directly and adds
Unicode to all who call it indirectly.

  Actually I would just made this a new API, but this may not work
on linux/unix because we can't control the locale (and I don't want to
mess with it !)

If you decide for LoadLibraryA, I strongly suggest to raise an error if
non-ASCII characters are passed in. Otherwise application end users who
load their own extensions may have really hard times figuring out why
the are failing to load.

  yes, as said I suggested to check the input for ASCII range :-)

Daniel