Re: [xml] Valgrind problems with xmlParseFile

By standard distribution do you mean that other people might use your library with other applications?

We solve that by placing our library in a different place (/usr/local/mycompany/lib) for linking.  Then our application uses our library only.  Meanwhile, other application will continue to use whatever that have in /use/local/lib

We actually do a static link anyway to make sure nobody messes us up!

You can make it w/out zlib simply by picking that option on the build.  Even if you don't go that route, placing your library in a different place is (IMO) good.  We have a lot of customers and they install all kinds of things and they would stomp on our open ssl and libxml2 and zlib and libsoap and everything else (or we would stomp on theirs) ... so having it's own home has been good for us.  You would be surprised how much software is out there that requires an older version than what is available (we try and stay current).