Re: [xml] Trying to make libxml2 for arm (TI DaVinci)

I guess when you run sudo path to XXX-ranlib is lost.

Lets try to install with following as non-root user
$ make install DESTDIR=/tmp/XXXX

If above install work then you should setup sudo path . I could not help
more as I don't use sudo.

Roumen

Hmmm...  You got me thinking.  "sudo printenv" indeed points out that my
path is lost.  I made a little script to do that path setting plus make
install, then ran that with sudo.  This ran through successfully.

NOW, I find two things.

1) Seaching /usr/lib I discover files libxml2.so.2.7.6 and libxml2.so.2
with file date 12/15/2009.  This means a version of the lib has been on my
Ubuntu from the beginning, and I didn't know it.  Perhaps I should have
looked harder (at all) and used the existing one.  But, have I now
clobbered the includes to correspond with it?  Dunno.  ((Nope, I don't
find /user/include/... for libxml..., which would be further parallel with
below that inserts "local" in its directory tree.))

2) For my today install of version 2.7.8, I find in
/usr/local/include/libxml2/libxml a bunch of .h files.  Good.  In
/usr/local/lib (not /usr/lib) I find libxml2.so.2.7.8 and (file link)
libxml2.so.2, which I assume are the library files for (compiler) linking
with my application.  Is this true?  I didn't find these linker files
until just now while writing this email.  I have to go into out-of-office
meetings all day soon, so I can't experiment further right now.  I think I
ought to try adding include directory /usr/local/include/libxml2/libxml
and link to libxml2.so.2.  DOES THAT SOUND CORRECT?  (All this with Feb 24
2011 dates)

Again, do you think I've succeeded and should use item (2) above?

Thanks very much