Re: [xml] correct version of libxml2

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 10:22:20AM -0400, Jonah Petri wrote:
Just out of curiousity - it _should_ be ok to call this within a
library on a statically linked copy of libxml2, right?

  I have never heard of a static embedding of libxml2 in a shared
library. This may still fail, depending on how the linker works,
if another library uses libxml2 and the linker finds it withon yours
the problem is the same.
  In general embedding statically is a bad idea, any security errata
touching libxml2 would need fixing in all the statically compiled
places too, people try very hard to avoid it. I think open office
used to do this and we tried to make sure distro fixed this (a long
time ago, just to give an example).

Daniel