Re: [xml] Build failure on Sparc solaris using gcc and binutils

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 11:01:01PM +0200, Roumen Petrov wrote:
Roumen Petrov wrote:
Daniel Veillard wrote:
On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 12:09:19AM +0300, Roumen Petrov wrote:
Daniel Veillard wrote:
On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 12:26:27AM +0300, Roumen Petrov wrote:
Matthias Jung wrote:
[SNIP]
My suggestion as long -M ld option is not clear ;-)

VERSION_SCRIPT_FLAGS=
$($LD --help 2>&1 | grep -- --version-script>/dev/null)&& \
VERSION_SCRIPT_FLAGS=-Wl,--version-script=

May be is time project to upgrade libtool to 2.+ version where
exist flag with_gnu_ld.

Argh, maybe that's the problem, any suggestion on how to best do this ?
[SNIP]

So the proposed solution is attached as file "libxml2+gnuld.patch":
if configure (libtool macro) detect gnu binutils linker use
"-Wl,--version-script=" otherwise on sunos use "-Wl,-M -Wl,"

May be is better without  else clause of the patch, i.e. only
if test "$lt_cv_prog_gnu_ld" = yes; then
  VERSION_SCRIPT_FLAGS=-Wl,--version-script=
fi

The format described here
"http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-1984/appendixb-45356?a=view";
is similar. May be sun native linker don't like the name after
closing bracket and semicolon, i.e quote from current script :
=================
LIBXML2_2.7.4 {
    global:

# globals
  xmlStructuredErrorContext; # variable

# xinclude
  xmlXIncludeProcessTreeFlagsData;
} LIBXML2_2.7.3;
=============

May be for native sun linker :
=================
LIBXML2_2.7.4 {
    global:

# globals
  xmlStructuredErrorContext; # variable

# xinclude
  xmlXIncludeProcessTreeFlagsData;
};

  Well we have been using that format for libvirt, and that ships in
Solaris, so far we didn't got negative feedback. It's also needed IMHO
to explain how the ABI are being extended, maybe someone using Solaris
can give us feedback on this.

  So I applied your first patch as is, I suppose the OpenSolaris people
will reach us if there is a real problem,

   thanks !

Daniel