[xml] xmllint - Browsing in file with default namespace

As far as I have been told, xmllint should offer a command line tool to work with xml, and than includes xhtml.

But it seems that I can not browse around in the xmllint shell, when the xml file has a default namespace. E.g. as in this file, minimum.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC
  "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"

Now trying to use the xmllint shell from command line:
mik borneo:~$ xmllint --shell foo.xml
/ > cd html
html is a 0 Node Set
/ >

If I remove the line "xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml", then I can browse around.

How can I browse around a document with a default namespace?

Thomas, Denmark