Re: [xml] xmlReadMemory : error "Extra content at the end of the document"

Ok, sorry.  I am using VS2005 and the code is in a Regular DLL using shared
MFC.  The version of LibXml2 that I am statically linking to is: 2-2.6.32+

I am loading the Xml from a resource within the DLL in the InitInstance():

            CWinApp::InitInstance();

        char szResName[]        = "#7001";
        char szResType[]        = "TAXONOMYXML";
        HMODULE hMod = AfxGetResourceHandle();

        //      Load the Xml resource:
        HRSRC hRes = FindResource(hMod, szResName, szResType);

        if (hRes)
        {
                HGLOBAL hBytes  = LoadResource(hMod, hRes);
                LPVOID  lpData  = LockResource(hBytes);
                LPBYTE  lpbData = (LPBYTE)lpData;

                m_pXbrlTaxonomy = new CXbrlTaxonomy(reinterpret_cast<const
char*>(lpbData));
        }
        return TRUE;

Which as you can see passes the string read to my classes CXbrlTaxonomy
constructor the code for which is:

CXbrlTaxonomy::CXbrlTaxonomy(const string sXml)
{
        ReadInXml(sXml);
}

The ReadInXml(...) [part] is:

void CXbrlTaxonomy::ReadInXml(const string sXml)
{
        xmlDocPtr pXmlDoc = xmlReadMemory(sXml.c_str(), (int)sXml.size(), "xml",
NULL, 0);

        if (pXmlDoc == NULL)
        {
                xmlErrorPtr pErr = xmlGetLastError();
                AfxMessageBox(pErr->message);
        }
        else
        {
                xmlXPathContextPtr pXPathCtx = xmlXPathNewContext(pXmlDoc);

The xmlReadMemory(...) returns a valid pointer to an xmlDoc object when I
run the DLL in Debug mode, but when I switch to Release mode it returns
NULL.  This is probably down to the Xml being read from the resource and I
will add some code to stream this out to a file so that I may investigate
that.  The reason why I had parsed the sXml.c_str() to a char* and apended a
LF (0x0a) and then a null terminator was just attempting to see if the
std::string c_str() function was returning some trailing chars.

As requested if anyone can see a flaw in my code leading to the
xmlReadMemory(...) returning NULL PLEASE let me know ASAP.  If I find
anything I will post my findings back here, so that if anyone else has a
similar issue they will know how to resolve it.

Elvis Stansvik wrote:

Hi,

First of all, please always state your platform and libxml2 version
when asking for help. Also provide a complete standalone code example
of your problem.