Re: [xml] xmlReadFile/xmlReadMemory - Performance or Concurrency problem

On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 10:14:48AM +0100, Martin Trappel wrote:
Hi there.

I could use a few wild guesses, because I've quite run out of them:
* libxml2 2.6.27
* Windows XPsp2

I have a process that is running approx 30 threads where one of this
threads is doing some calculations and network communication with a
hardware device. This one is the only thread that spends a measureable
time doing anything, i.e. it takes about 10% cpu).
So far, no libxml2 involved.

Now, in an additional thread, I start up a libxml parser to parse a 4MB
xml file. (When tested in isolation parsing of this file takes approx
200-300ms).
In this process, the parsing (xmlReadFile, or xmlReadMemory call with
file read into memory) takes btw. 2 sec and 12 sec. That ain't the
problem and of course I expected it to take longer due to heavy load.
The problem now is, that the xmlRead* call takes 99% cpu resources which
causes the other thread to slow down so much that it fails due to a
fixed timeout for msg processing we have.

What is really interesting now is, that when I add some artificial
cpu-load before or after xmlReadFile (some dummy calculations in a loop
for 10 seconds) that takes up 99% cpu as well, but the msg processing in
the other thread ain't aborted.

Could this be due to many heap-allocations from
xmlReadFile/xmlReadMemory? Some other process global resource that could
be the cause?

any guesses welcome!

  No idea. the Windows memory allocator gave us serious problems in the
past in face of realloc() use. Thread concurency may be a problem too.

Daniel