[xml] Temporarily Holding Nodes

What is the best way to temporarily hold nodes off to the side of a program for later use?

I'm parsing an xml document to display only some of the data from the xml file so the user can edit it. After that I want to combine the data displayed with data that wasn't displayed. The only think is I'm not sure what to do with the nodes of data that weren't displayed while the program is being used.

Should the unused data be held in a separate document, a nodeset, or should it be a linked list of nodes? The document fragments sound like it might be something I want, but I don't know what there intended use is. Anyone know? Whatever it is it should be something that can be easily merged.

Thanks in advance,
dave