[xml] Can I force encoding of single-quote characters?

I'm using libxml2 with an embedded SQL database, and it really doesn't like single quote characters in SQL statements.  All of our xml uses double-quotes to encapsulate attribute values, and if I read this statement correctly:

'
The apostrophe or single-quote character (') can be symbolised with this character entity reference when you need to embed a single-quote or apostrophe inside a string which is already single-quoted.

Then when i use the xmlwriter i get "'" (double, single, double quotes).  What I want to get is "'" Is there some flag I can enable for the writer so I don't have to check for this case manually?

Thanks,

Jim Wert Jr.

JWert ILSTechnology com