[xml] Problems with schema validation

Hi I am trying to validate xsd files and am running into a problem. I
have a negative test, i.e. a file I know is invalid, yet it passes
validation.

I used the example code from
http://wiki.njh.eu/XML-Schema_validation_with_libxml2 and wrote a short
main routine for the test.

I downloaded the http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema.xsd file to my machine
to avoid any network issues.

So here is the file I am validating and I expect this to fail:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!-- Invalid Schema definition used in the XML tools tests (no flip type)-->
<xsd:schema xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";>
  <xsd:element name="person" type="person"/>
  <xsd:complexType name="person">
     <xsd:sequence>
        <xsd:element name="first" type="xsd:flip"/>
        <xsd:element name="last" type="xsd:string"/>
        <xsd:element name="dob" type="xsd:date"/>
        <xsd:element name="phone" type="xsd:string"/>
     </xsd:sequence>
  </xsd:complexType>
</xsd:schema>

XSD defines no flip type, thus the validator should complain. I have
libxml2.so.2.6.27 on my Debian 4 box.

Help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Robert

--
Robert Schweikert                       MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU
(robert schweikert mathworks com)                 LINUX