[xml] Building libxml2 on solaris

Hi
Please could you help me build libxml2 on Solaris 2.10 (x86)? I get the following errors:

ld: fatal: relocations remain against allocatable but non-writable sections
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `libxml2.la'

make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive'

The lines before the error message all refer to /usr/local/lib/libz.a. A Google search suggests ld wants to link against shared libraries but libz.a is a static library. Is there a switch I can give to the configure script to make it look for static libraries? Some other configure scripts seem to have a -static switch, but this one doesn't.

Thanks very much,
Rachael