Re: [xml] Query Regarding Revision 2121 in SVN for entity nesting check in parserinternal.c

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 03:04:42PM +0200, Andrew W. Nosenko wrote:
On Feb 20, 2008 2:50 PM, Daniel Veillard <veillard redhat com> wrote:
   However  I assume in case of scenarios where there is a parser context
   per thread, thread-safety is required, right?

  No. try to understand how the added check works.
The point is make sure that for a given parsing context you always get
different ids when you create new input streams. That code does it,
and the comment is right.

Sorry, but (IMO) there indded may be a problem if defferent concurent
threads running on the different CPUs.

  The only thing we need is that when different input are created for
*the same* parser context they get different ids (understanding the
parser test will help you verify this assertion). Only one thread can
use a given parser context at a time (that's a requirement of libxml2
thread usage http://xmlsoft.org/threads.html). I state this code fullfils
the requirement, but please show me the sequence of event leading to your
problem. At worse 2 threads take the same initial value, get the same
id but since they have to operate on different parser contexts this
is absolutely not a problem.

  So tell me how do you get your problem ?

Note, the probability of other threads allocating 4 billions inputs
in the meantime is IMHO neglectible and would not be solved by a
critical section.

Daniel