Re: [xml] minor compile warnings

On Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 02:36:22PM +0200, Roumen Petrov wrote:
Unfortunately AM_ICONV from iconv.m4 version AM4(from gettext 0.11 or
subsequent) introduce dependency on more lib-xxx.m4 macro files and will
change libxml2 configure options(arguments).

  Yeah, that's the kind of thing i'm afraid of, and it's very hard to track
down or guess in advance. Unfortunately this kind of things hits you at
the last moment or when you're trying to compile on a different environment.

If one day libxml2 go international and decide to use gettext system for
message translation existing check for iconv can be replaced with macro
AM_ICONV.

  Well libxml2 is internationalized, it's not localized, and it's on-purpose.
If you really build an end user application one should catch the error using
the APIs and provide appropriate user feedback, just outputting libxml2
low level errors is in a majority of case not the right thing to do, logging
them for more in-depth analysis is appropriate though. Also i want to minimize
the platform requirement, and even gettext can be a problem for some users.

I agree that this is just warning and may left it as is.

To email is attached file "libxml2-trunk-iconvconst.patch.gz" that mimic
check for iconv second argument but without new iconv.m4 complexity.

  Patch looks fine to me, it's self-contained, I could commit this if you
think it's a good idea.

Daniel