Re: [xml] Parser error: html entities not defined

On Tue, Sep 04, 2007 at 10:19:18AM -0400, Liam R E Quin wrote:
On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 07:01 -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
On Tue, Sep 04, 2007 at 06:39:01AM -0300, Bruno Dilly wrote:
Hi people,

I'm trying to parse RSS with html entities, but I'm having the
following errors when it tries to parse the rss file:
Entity 'ntilde' not defined;
Entity 'iacute' not defined;
[...]
  are the HTML entities defined in the RSS DTD ? if yes then you
need to ask to load the DTD. If no, then using them there is an error.

It's worse than that :-)

RSS requires HTML markup to be escaped in descriptions, so you have
to write things like
and the same for elements, &lt;i&gt;...&lt;/i&gt; to get <i>...</i> into
an RSS feed.

A lot of RSS feeds are invalid.

  By default libxml2 XML parser does not fetch the external subset of DTDs.
So the undeclared entities are an error but not a fatal error (since of
course they never set standalone="yes"). The fact they are invalid doesn't
bother me that much, but it seems in practice they are often not well-formed
and a lot of RSS readers don't use XML parsers to work around this. One
thing is sure, I won't encourage this trend...

Daniel