[xml] inquiry regarding parsing xml elements submitted through cgi post

Hello all,
I am new to this and I sincerely request you to bear with me.
I am trying to make an XML request-response system. The client posts a XML-formatted request through a cgi-based form.
The server returns an XML request through http cgi.
What I have done now is to save the cgi post as an temporary xml file and open it through libxml2 to be processed. I have only found functions to open an xml document and process it. It is working as it is ... but it makes it a bit slow.
Is there a way I can process the XML elements directly from the cgi submission without first saving it into a file?
I would be highly grateful if someone can give me some pointers.
Thanking you.
Regards,
Aadit