Re: [xml] Necessary steps involved in validating against an

Hi,

Regaring Delphi programmer Erik Andersen's query about using an XSD when
using libxml2, I offer the code below, based on testSchemas.c, as a
simple example of how to accomplish this in a Delphi application
(although it wasn't entirely clear from his original question whether
Erik is developing his code in C or Delphi).

Most of this is almost trivial. The biggest challenge is in developing
the error-handling code, as Delphi does not have an exact equivalent of
the C "printf" family of functions.

The easiest way around this difficulty is to not bother calling either
xmlSchemaSetParserErrors or xmlSchemaSetValidErrors, and rely on the
default error handler. The default error handler in libxml2 will, I
believe, attempt to write any error message to stderr. This should work
OK in a console application, but is likely to fail if the application is
using a Windows GUI (since "stderr" is not well-defined in that
context).

In the code below, I attempt to get around this problem in a very simple
way. "ErrorFunc" serves as the error-handling function. Using a bit of
declaration trickery to allow it to pass the parameters, it calls the
wvsprintf function provided by Windows to format the message string into
a buffer. The buffer is then written to a file, but the ctx parameter
could just as easily be used to pass a pointer to a Windows edit control
where the text could be displayed.

I hope this helps.

///////////////////////
program Schematest;

{$APPTYPE CONSOLE}

uses
  SysUtils,
  windows,
  libxml2;

procedure ErrorFunc(ctx: pointer; const msg: PChar); cdecl;
var
  ptr_args: array[0..100] of Pointer absolute msg;
  buffer: string;
  len: integer;
type
  PFile = ^Text;
begin
  SetLength(buffer, 1024); // Allocate enough space
  len := wvsprintf(PChar(buffer), msg, @(ptr_args[1]));
  SetLength(buffer, len);  // Truncate to the actual string length
  if Assigned(ctx) then
    write(PFile(ctx)^, buffer)
  else
    write(buffer);
end;

var
  parserCtxt: xmlSchemaParserCtxtPtr;
  validCtxt: xmlSchemaValidCtxtPtr;
  doc: xmlDocPtr;
  schema: xmlSchemaPtr;
  ret: integer;
  logfile: Text;
begin
  if ParamCount < 2 then
    writeln('Usage: ' + ParamStr(0) + ' schemaFile xmlFile')
  else
  begin
    AssignFile (logfile, 'test.log');
    Rewrite(logfile);
    parserCtxt := xmlSchemaNewParserCtxt(PChar(ParamStr(1)));
    xmlSchemaSetParserErrors(parserCtxt,
        xmlSchemaValidityErrorFunc(@ErrorFunc),
        xmlSchemaValidityWarningFunc(@ErrorFunc),
        @logfile);
    schema := xmlSchemaParse(parserCtxt);
    xmlSchemaFreeParserCtxt(parserCtxt);

    if Assigned(schema) then
    begin
      doc := xmlReadFile(PChar(ParamStr(2)), nil, 0);
      if (doc = nil) then
          writeln('Could not parse ' + ParamStr(2))
      else
      begin
        validCtxt := xmlSchemaNewValidCtxt(schema);
        xmlSchemaSetValidErrors(validCtxt,
            xmlSchemaValidityErrorFunc(@ErrorFunc),
            xmlSchemaValidityWarningFunc(@ErrorFunc),
            @logfile);
        ret := xmlSchemaValidateDoc(validCtxt, doc);
        write (ParamStr(2));
        if (ret = 0) then
          writeln (' validates')
        else if (ret > 0) then
          writeln (' fails to validate')
        else
          writeln(' validation generated an internal error');
        xmlSchemaFreeValidCtxt(validCtxt);
        xmlFreeDoc(doc);
      end;
    end;