Re: [xml] Read&Write Files with unicode/UTF-16 names (on Windows) (was: RE: Read tree from FILE* ?)

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Richards [mailto:rrichards ctindustries net]
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2007 2:23 PM
To: Trappel Martin
Cc: xml gnome org
Subject: Re: [xml] Read&Write Files with unicode/UTF-16 names
(on Windows) (was: RE: Read tree from FILE* ?)

Trappel Martin wrote:
Still, allow me to phrase two questions:
* Is there an opposite to xmlReadIO, something like xmlWriteIO ?

maybe xmlSaveToIO
* Is anyone using the xmlRegisterInputCallbacks(..) to open
files with
wide character names? (It seems to me this would require some
additional wrapping, since the callback functions get char* for the
file URL. So I'd first had to encode the wchar_t filename
to utf8 and
the, in the callback, decode it again.)

You should encode the filenames to UTF-8 before passing them.
Unless you have any other requirements, you shouldn't need
custom I/O handlers. As of 2.6.24, under windows, the io
handlers will first attempt to convert the path from utf-8 to
wide chars and use the _wxxxx functions to stat and open. If
you need to support prior versions, you can always use the
code within xmlIO.c to write your own handlers.

Thanks a lot! This is fantabulous news :-)

( Is this mentioned anywhere in the docs? Did I look in the wrong places for
this info? )

best regards / mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Martin Trappel