Re: [xml] Static compiling

On Sat, Sep 30, 2006 at 04:50:53AM -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 08:39:12PM -0400, Pierre-Luc Bacon wrote:
I can't get a program (ices2) that uses libxml2 to compile statically
with this library. It fails in "./configure" process exposing this in
config.log:

[...]
nohttp.c:1050: warning: Using 'gethostbyname' in statically linked
applications requires at runtime the shared
 libraries from the glibc version used for linking

I tried building libxml2 with --disable-shared and it was doing the

  No idea, I always compile statically in my devel tree and never saw this
when linking xmllint statically for example. Check with your OS/distro
they must know about it.

  If the application tries to link statically all the stack including
the libc, then it can be a problem, and I guess it's what is being raised in
the warning. The fact that libxml2 uses the resolver trigger this, but
fundamentally compiling the whole application static is asking for troubles
especially for a large app.

Daniel