[xml] Basic newbie Q about parsing trees

I have a simple XML data tree that looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>

The line_X elements can repeat a number of times.

I need to parse this data out to a C array. I've used the tree1.c example to walk the tree and print element names, but how do I print the element values?

Basically, I need to a) fill a C array with values in the tree, and b) fill a tree with values from a C array, as simply as possible. I've been through the examples, but this is the first time I've worked with libxml2 and the API is a bit cryptic at the moment.