[xml] Count elements using XmlReader

Hi,

I have XML-files doing something like this:

<array>
 <item data="..."/>
 <item data="..."/>
 <item data="..."/>
 <item data="..."/>
</array>

and I am using the xmlReader!

The problem is that I would like to know how many "item" elements are between the array-tags! Is there any possibility to do this without adding a "size"-attribute to the opening array-tag!

My XML-files can become very big that's why I don't want to use anything else then the xmlTextReader.

I thought about doing something like saving the xmlTextReaderPtr and that parse on until I found the closing array-tag to count the elements. Afterwards I wanted to start from the saved position again! But I could not get it to work!

HELP!!! PLEASE!!!

Kind regards,
Oliver Heyme
----