Re: [xml] Streaming XPath restrictions in libxml2

Daniel Veillard [veillard redhat com] wrote:

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 02:57:47PM +0530, Ravi Reddy wrote:

Hi,

I have a set of questions regarding the level of streaming XPath
support. Please answer them.

1). Is there any documentation on what subset of XPath 1.0 does
libxml2
support in streaming mode?

  No. Basically the one needed for XSD support.

2). Does libxml2 internally construct DOM for streamable XPath
evaluation?

  no

Good ;)

3). Does libxml2 support only forward looking XPath and if so what
subset?

  of course only forward. Again subset needed for XSD. See the XSD
spec.
It was mostly designed as an internal feature, the driver was that
spec.

It's such a useful feature that it would be valuable if an interface
specification could be written, though even if someone (<hides/>) steps
up to do that then we might need to recognize that this could be more
volatile than the interfaces which are implementations of mainstream
standards.

-- James