From: Daniel Veillard [mailto:veillard redhat com]
Sent: Friday, October 13, 2006 1:30 AM
To: Yong Chen (yongche)
Cc: xml gnome org
Subject: Re: [xml] schema validation

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 07:19:28PM -0700, Yong Chen (yongche) wrote:
Hi Daniel,

Sorry to hear that Kasimier lost his job. Hopefully he will
get a good
one soon.

As for the infinite loop, it happens in both 2.6.22 and
2.6.26. And it
happens in function xmlFAReduceEpsilonTransitions (in xmlregexp.c),
this func calls itself recursively. I noticed it's actually you (not
Kasimier) who wrote this file, so I wonder if you can help.

  Okay, I will look.

I did try to file a bug via bugzilla, but it has a restraint of not
exceeding 64K in comments, but my schema file is 160k.

Try to shorten the schemas to the part which actually raises
the problem.

Have you read the XML Schemas specification ? Do you
understand how confusing and ambiguous it is ? If not, please
read it. I'm serious about this ! Not a book about XSD use
case or the doc of the XSD generator you may have used, look
at the spec, i.e. what is supposed to guide implementors, you
will understand why I'm not thrilled to debug 160 KBytes of this !
   http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/
When you see experts debating on the meaning of 10 lines
schemas and unable to state what is the right behaviour,
using 160KB of those for the kind of core infrastructures
your company is building is purely scary in my opinion.

Shorten the XSD to the smallest input reproducing the
problem. I have little time, if it looks like I will need an
hour just to sort out what is actually triggering the problem
there is very little chance I will go after it.
It's not because I have the knowledge of the internals that
you should not do your part by trying to reduce to a minimal
example reproducing the problem.

I'll send you the schema file and the code to reproduce it,
if you are
interested in it.

 Shorten the inputs, and don't paste data in bugzilla
comments but as bugzilla attachments to the bug !

   thanks,

Daniel

veillard redhat com  | libxml GNOME XML XSLT toolkit
http://xmlsoft.org/ http://veillard.com/ | Rpmfind RPM search
engine  http://rpmfind.net/