Re: [xml] xmllint --nowarning = no information

On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 05:00:00PM -0700, Bob Stayton wrote:
I've noticed that when I used xmllint --valid to validate a document, if I
don't use the --nowarning option I get a full description of an invalid
element that helps me find the error:

ch01.xml:125: element chapter: validity error : Element chapter content
does
not follow the DTD, expecting (title , (((itemizedlist | orderedlist |
caution |
 note | tip | programlisting | para | blockquote | informalexample |
graphic | i
nformaltable | example | figure | table | procedure | bridgehead | remark)+
, se
ction*) | section+)), got (title indexterm para section section section )
</chapter>
          ^

When I add the --nowarning option to xmllint, I get only this output:

ch01.xml:125: element chapter: validity error : Element chapter content
does
not follow the DTD
</chapter>
          ^

This is not a warning, this is a validation error.  Why would --nowarning
suppress this useful information?
In this case, I need to use --nowarning because the DTD in question is
structured to specify the same attribute more than once.  That generates a
warning (not an error) that I want to suppress.

Is there any way to use --nowarning and still get the full error output?
My version is on Windows XP:

xmllint.exe: using libxml version 20626CVS2823

  I can't reproduce this:

paphio:~/XML -> xmllint --valid test/VC/ElementValid4
test/VC/ElementValid4:7: element doc: validity error : Element c is not declared in doc list of possible
children
                                                                      ^
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE doc [
<!ELEMENT doc (#PCDATA | a | b)*>
<!ELEMENT a EMPTY>
<!ELEMENT b (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT c (#PCDATA)>
]>
paphio:~/XML -> xmllint --valid --nowarning test/VC/ElementValid4
test/VC/ElementValid4:7: element doc: validity error : Element c is not declared in doc list of possible
children
                                                                      ^
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE doc [
<!ELEMENT doc (#PCDATA | a | b)*>
<!ELEMENT a EMPTY>
<!ELEMENT b (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT c (#PCDATA)>
]>
paphio:~/XML ->

  Can you reproduce this with a small test ?

  thanks,

Daniel