Re: [xml] Apparently incorrect paragraph wrapping in HTML parser

On Jan 11, 2006, iSteve <isteve deadcd org> wrote:

Daniel Veillard said (on IRC, though not on this mailing list) that he's
waiting for feedback about how to fix this issue.

I for myself have to say I'd remove it completely; I do not think it is
reasonable to have the document altered by the parser in first place;
I've found some more issues with it in the mailing list, too.
(http://mail.gnome.org/archives/xml/2002-October/msg00047.html)

Since DV didn't ask himself -- it is after all me who wants this bug
fixed -- I have to ask: what do all of you think about it? Any
suggestions how it should be resolved?

I would tend to expect that a parser's default behavior would not add
any extra tags (except closing tags added to fix mismatched tag
problems, of course).  That said, it would also be nice to be able to
turn the paragraph wrapping feature on or off by calling a function
that sets some flag in the document object to tell the parser what to do.

There are times when I'd like to always get exactly what was in the file,
no matter how broken.  There are other times when I'd like it to be at
least semi-valid HTML.

Just my $0.02.

David