From: Daniel Veillard [mailto:veillard redhat com]
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 5:30 AM
To: Vedantam, Pavan
Cc: xml gnome org
Subject: Re: [xml] Preserving space when adding and deleting XML Nodes

On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 11:19:22AM -0800, Vedantam, Pavan wrote:

Hi,

I followed up previous
posts(http://mail.gnome.org/archives/xml/2005-September/msg00094.html)
,
and it seems the whitespace that is left when you delete a Node in the
xml file must be handled via code, my question is, how do you know
that
it is an empty text node and then delete it.

  Precisely, you can't at the pure XML level. Only the application can
know if this is significant or not, and this is why all white spaces
are preserved by the parser and toolkit by default.

Daniel

veillard redhat com  | libxml GNOME XML XSLT toolkit
http://xmlsoft.org/ http://veillard.com/ | Rpmfind RPM search engine
http://rpmfind.net/