Re: [xml] New user, evaluating XML libraries

On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 05:16:58PM +0000, Boris Kolpackov wrote:
Daniel, I do not want to start a flame war here but I think you are being
contradictory here. The OP said that he is not sure whether he needs XML
Schema validation or not. Instead of just ignoring this topic altogether,
in your reply you started spreading FUD about XSD and promoting Relax-NG

  XSD is a very problematic spec, and not just from a readability point of
view. It's not FUD, it's fact from my viewpoint. There are just too many cases
of example where one can't tell clearly from the spec what a validator
should do, which sorry, may be good enough for converting "1234" to an int
value but not something I would suggest to use for *validation*. Call that
FUD if you want but yes there is good reason to Fear Xsd, have Uncertainties
about it and cast Doubts about its capabilities. I tried to implement both
I still implemented significant part of the core of our XSD support, and
even if it was perfectly complete (but I think now it's not even possible
with XSD 1.0) I would still suggest people use RNG to validate struture
based purely on the intrinsic qualities of the specs, the datatype part
of XSD is good enough, and usually reused as is by RNG users.

(about which OP haven't said a word). Now when I present arguments against
your XSD FUD, you are calling it promotion and off-topic. Not very nice,
IMO.

  I reacted to the push for your data binding software, which IMHO wasn't
what was asked for. Maybe I'm not nice, sorry about that, but I don't go
to your user mailing list trying to get the people to use something else
when they ask about the toolkit capability. Maybe I don't understand
what you're really trying to do, maybe I didn't really understood the
original question, oh well ...

Daniel