[xml] xmllint - Newbie THINKS there may be a whitespace error in 2.6.23

Greetings,

Using xmllint to validate a document thusly:

xmllint --schema test.xsd test.xml

with schema (test.xsd):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"; elementFormDefault="qualified" attributeFormDefault="unqualified">
<xs:element name="A">
 <xs:annotation>
  <xs:documentation>asdf</xs:documentation>
 </xs:annotation>
 <xs:complexType>
  <xs:sequence>
   <xs:element name="B">
    <xs:complexType>
     <xs:attribute name="ID" type="xs:string" use="required"/>
    </xs:complexType>
   </xs:element>
  </xs:sequence>
 </xs:complexType>
</xs:element>
</xs:schema>

and document (test.xml):

<A>
<B ID="1">
</B>
</A>

I get the error:

test.xml:2: element B: Schemas validity error : Element 'B': Character content is not allowed, because the content type is empty.

I thought that --noblanks would strip the whitespace and eliminate the error, but find instead that I must modify the document to:

<A>
<B ID="1" />
</A>

Is this behavior correct? I observe it in 2.6.22 and 2.6.23 on Fedora Core 4 and 5. If I remove the required attribute ("ID") from the schema and the document, this behavior is not observed.

Sincerely,
John Navratil