Re: [xml] License question

On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 11:59:29AM -0400, Adam Versteegen wrote:
Hello,

I have a question regarding the license for libxml2 and the licenses
for other libs it links to. I'd like to use libxml2 in a commercial
application, and if I understand the license correctly I can
distribute a binary version of libxml2 with my app so long as I
include a copy of the MIT license with my (closed source) application.

  I don't think you need to keep it in your application, but it must
be present unchanged in libxml2 copies.

Where i'm a little less sure is with iconv... If I build libxml with
iconv, how does the GPL (the iconv license) affect my usage of
libxml2? Because I link to libxml2 (which in turn links to iconv) is
my app then subjected to the GPL? Do I then have to meet this portion
of hte GPL:

  I can't tell for iconv. First there is many implementation of it,
second I doubt they are GPL, and anyway libxml2 can work without it.
It depends on your platform, your version of iconv, and I can't make
any guess on legal issues for something I have no idea about.

Daniel