Re: [xml] XML regression test cases...

On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 02:27:54PM -0700, Jain, Nilesh wrote:
I completely understand the point you have mentioned, but same time my
real concern is for application/users of libxml2... because if
application is depends or based on certain behavior of library, which
changes release over release [I understand potential reasons for change]
then how application deals with that.. do they change the application...
or applications are usually transparent from these changes.

  applications are usually transparent from these changes

I guess my real question here is to understand the impact of behavior
changes release over release on applications, and how they deal with
that?

   make correct user code, i.e. catch errors, usually they fon't have
to deal specifically with it, a tree is way more complex than say an int,
you already have to make flexible code to deal with trees anyway.

Or is it certain section/module of library which can vary
depending on the underling specification interpretation change, which is
really transparent to application...

  that too, depends on the kind of fixes

I am here not questioning the changes but same time trying to understand
the impact on application, which LSB cares most... I am putting this
question here as you have more visibility of usage and impact of these
changes...

  And I am answering that when I do such change I carefully think about
how applications would react, I'm sure I said that at least a couple of time
already. I can't dump my knowledge in your brain, there is collective knowledge
on this list about libxml2 and their apps, I think they somehow at least trust
me from not breaking their apps, and I use those various tests suites
accumulated over the years to raise my level of trust on my own changes (or the
changes from other contributors).
  You can do a very dumb test like upgrading libxml2 and libxslt on a RHEL3
system to the latest RPMs I ship and chase for breakages in applications,
if you have specific application compatibilities, test them, or at least
list them.

Daniel