Re: [xml] Copyright infringment in libxml2 source tarballs

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 10:22:48AM +0200, Mike Hommey wrote:
Hi,

I got this bug report on the Debian BTS.

  libxml2 testsuite includes several testfiles that are unclear if they
  are DFSG free. These seem to downloaded from various websites, without
  being aware that typically websited do not allow redistributing their
  content without permissions.

  Atleast the following files were spotted to be probably nonfree material

  test/HTML/fp40.htm   - Microsoft Frontpage readme file
  test/HTML/wired.html - Wired.com frontpage
  test/HTML/test2.html - Old linuxtoday.com page
  test/slashdot.rdf    - slashdot rss feed
  test/slashdot.xml    - slashdot rss feed
  test/slashdot16.xml  - slashdot rss feed
  test/wap.xml         - <!-- (C) 1999, 2000 WAP Forum Ltd.  All rights
  reserved -->

While it is an obvious issue for Debian, it is also one for libxml2
upstream, that I think you should do something about.

  If you really care about it provide a patch which randomizes the content
of those but keep the structure, it will still test the parser as it should
and I think it would avoid the problem of redistributing the content. I doubt
one can consider reusing a document structure to be a content copyright
infrigement.
  I take patches :-), it will of course also affect the structure.

Daniel