Re: [xml] RE: XML modules and interface

On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 06:19:57PM -0700, Jain, Nilesh wrote:
I have identified few other interfaces in some modules which I think
should not be included in specs, I wanted to check with you before I do
so. I have listed along with reasons.

|| Module || Interfaces || Reason ||
|| HTMLparser || htmlNodeStatus|| Experimental ||

  hum, was contributed, I don't really remember what it is used for :-)
  -> drop

|| tree || xmlDOMWrapAdoptNode, xmlDOMWrapReconcileNamespaces,
xmlDOMWrapRemoveNode || Experimental ||
  xmlDOMWrapAdoptNode and xmlDOMWrapRemoveNode may be used by PHP
  but it's not critical to keep them.
  -> drop, okay

|| Catalog || xmlCatalogGetSystem, xmlCatalogGetSystem || deprecated ||
  -> drop

|| entities || xmlCleanupPredefinedEntities, xmlCreateEntitiesTable,
xmlInitializePredefinedEntities || deprecated ||
  -> drop

|| ParserInternals || xmlCheckLanguageID, xmlDecodeEntities,
xmlParseQuotedString, xmlParserHandleReference, xmlScanName ||
deprecated ||

  -> drop

|| valid || xmlCopyElementContent,
xmlFreeElementContent,xmlNewElementContent, xmlSprintfElementContent ||
deprecated ||
  -> drop

|| relxang || xmlRelaxNGParse || Unstable ||
  Warning is old, API is in use now
  -> keep

|| xmlSchema || xmlSchemaParse || Unstable ||
  Warning is old, API is in use now
  -> keep

I have identified this by browsing the API document, I wanted to know is
there a central place or list which you maintain for deprecated/not used
symbols.

  Not really, there is the legacy.c module with a bunch of them, but
some function are really still exported because they were public at some
point and I didn't want to introduce regression, and in other case because
they are needed for multiple modules. It's history ....

Daniel