From: Daniel Veillard [mailto:veillard redhat com]
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2005 1:35 PM
To: Banginwar, Rajesh
Cc: Hisashi T Fujinaka; xml gnome org
Subject: Re: [xml] Which interfaces should be put into LSB?

On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 10:28:28AM -0800, Banginwar, Rajesh wrote:
Hi Daniel,
    A clarification is I think needed here.

Historically LSB has been producing headers for application
to use. These headers do not include all the interfaces/symbols not
of LSB (deprecated, experimental etc. as you helped us identify in
past). The question really is not about interfaces (as that problem
mostly resolved; so no restart of discussion etc.). Question is
what headers should an application really use. Let me give an
here. For GTK libraries there are more than 100 headers supplied by
upstream but only handful (the top level ones) are really meant to
used by application developers. So what LSB does, is supply only
headers in its build environment. These headers is what apps
be using anyway as upstream does not guarantee the names and
contents of
others will remain same.

Is that the case for libxml2? Or all the 40 or so headers supplied
meant for application developers?

  yes, right, just don't add the deprecated ones, like SAX.h
or those whose API you don't want to see used.

If so, LSB build environment will
provide all those headers minus the ones for non-LSB interfaces.
headers typically are similar (or same in many cases) to what

Daniel Veillard      | Red Hat