[xml] Is this normal behavior when adding a namespace?

I've come accross something I'm not sure is normal or
not.

I parse 'real world' html into a tree (using
htmlParseFile() or htmlParseDoc() ), and since I need
to apply a stylesheet to it I add a namespace to it
(using the method I posted about here:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/xml/2005-March/msg00172.html).

Later I output this tree with htmlDocDumpMemory(), but
I've noticed that elements such as 'br' and 'hr' get
happen if the namespace is not added.

Is this normal behavior, or am I not adding the
namespace right, causing the tree to be modified in a
way I don't anticipate?

Yahoo! Mail Mobile
http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail