[xml] xmlReaderForMemory question

I want to provide a few separate functions which make up my xml interface.

read_file
validate
parse
free_mem

Because these are separate, they'll be called with an argument which is a pointer to some data structure that I've read from the file. Should I just hold this data as a char array, or is there a better way already built in? For example, if read_file returns an xmlTextReaderPtr pointer, I think I lose the ability to clean up the memory from the char array I read in. Unless xmlReaderForMemory does that as well on cleanup? The API document makes no mention of it. thanks again for helping a beginner- I hope to accelerate on this before long.

   Jeremy