Re: OT Re: [xml] XSD validation example needed

Well, I validate an XML document (in my app) in two steps:
  1) With the XML internal XSD.
  2) With a local XSD.

¿any help with the first step as I want?

Thanks

   Samuel Díaz García
    Director Gerente
ArcosCom Wireless, S.L.L.

mailto:samueldg arcoscom com
http://www.arcoscom.com
móvil: 651 93 72 48
tlfn/fax: 956 70 13 15

Frans Englich wrote:
On Tuesday 25 January 2005 16:16, Daniel Veillard wrote:

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 04:08:42PM +0100, Samuel Díaz García wrote:

 If you trust the XML File content, why do you validate it ?
 If you don't trust the XML File content, how can you trust that
specific attribute value ?
 A Schemas/DTD is a contract between a provider and consumer,
I would never blindly trust a contract coming with the product, that's
why I don't believe in the whole xsi (instance schemas informations).

I agree, when the consumer is arbitrary and principles such that all input is evil applies, XSI defeats the purpose of the safety barrier("You should let me through because I have written it on my card!")

But when the compromisation threat is smaller, such as when the provider won't intentionally try to break it, or when an error is more acceptable(doing simple, manual testing), it could be that the problems XSI brings are outrun by the practical issues it solves: associating a document instance with a Schema. For example, I would find XSI practical when doing manual validations, but doubtable when doing runtime validation. Of course, that doesn't mean the XSI mechanism as a whole is justified, or that its pros cannot be achieved in other ways.

Cheers,

                Frans