Re: [xml] column information in the error structure

On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 01:35:17PM -0800, Aleksey Sanin wrote:
 Now about 2) most of the time int2 is not used, actually checking the
__xmlRaiseError() calls it seems it's never used, or rather 0 is always
passed. So if you want to extend the error messages using int2 sounds fine
for most uses.
 Of course if it is error you are generating in a higher level you're
really free to do what you want with those values.
The idea was to report the column number for all the errors from parser
where it is possible. I don't think this qualifies as "errors generated
on higher level" :) So would you (or anyone else) mind if I rename
"int2" into "column" and set it to the current parser column where
possible?

  I would not rename it in the structure, I would just change the comment,
but I would rename it in the functions arguments like __xmlRaiseError
since it doesn't generate an API change.

BTW, another question about "col" in struct _xmlParserInput: it seems
that currently it contains the character number from the beggining
of the file and not the column number from the beggining of the current
line (as I would expect from the comment :) ). Is this a bug or
a feature?

  A bug :-), each time the line is increased, it should be reset to 1 of
course ... which apparently I forgot to do sometimes. Actually it is reset
to 1 in a number of places, but not in the fast paths. The only doubt I
had was about xmlByteConsumed() but it doesn't seems to use col.

Daniel