Re: [xml] Attribute indenting

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 02:41:31PM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
  now do man indent, and count the options.

Well, I doubt any user wants

<foo xmlns:first="long uri sqlrvnLZ NQLZTJQLTJBLERLZJEL
VJZELJZLRBLZREVLZERVLajzlrjalzrvjlazekjlaz" xmlns:second="long uri 2
q;sfdv kghb elrh lerhylzreyjnlerylerjlertlz" xmlns:third="long uri 3 ljsdg
hlberjynlsry ejnlrt kjnmdrgnmfd,hnmr"/>

  I may take a patch, check include/libxml/xmlsave.h xmlSaveOption enums
which would have to be augmented. The problem is that you need to keep
track of the column number which is not fun, and probably very inefficient.

And you'll note your argument is somehow unfair - one of your example
shows no indenting at the element level though it didn't stop xmllint
(like most other tools) indenting them

  I'm not unfair. I expose that writing that code is very special case,
not fun, probably hard to make efficient, and so far just got something
which looks like a rant. Rant might be fine if they end up as being productive
in the long term, I am not convinced because how I perceive this
in the first place, you want your little feature nobody asked before,
which is different from what should really be implemented (i.e. wrapping
in markup to avoid as much as possible more than 80 column wide serialization)
and ready to rant a lot about it. But rant does not make progress by default.
I'm not interested in your specific feature request because I find it slightly
wrong and because nobody else asked for it. You can implement it as a patch
and if the code is sane then as usual it is likely to be integrated, but I
don't have an itch to scratch myself there, you have apparently, you should
then get the energy to get it done.

Daniel