[xml] Help

Hello,
I am having difficulty in understanding how namespace
nodes are dealt in libxml.
At run time I get pointer to an element node say E. I
want to create a XPath nodeset such that it contains E
as well as its children(text nodes, elements etc.) and
namespace nodes(the namespace axis), attribute nodes
of E and its descendents.
Finaly i will canonicalize it.

Please help, as when i was reading libxml, xpath.c, it
says that the treatment for namespace nodes is
different.
Thanks