[xml] validation problem

Please bear with me I am new to libxml and xml.

We are moving a working c program that uses libxml from a Sun env to
Cygwin.  The first compile and execute failed to return from a malloc call
xmlCreateBuffer in tree.c.  From reading the news and some e-mails it was
apparant that there was a malloc change in version 2.5.7. To fix this
problems I decided upgrade to the latest version of libxml2 from 2.4.22 to
the latest 2.6.7.

There were two validation errors that I recieved due to more validation
checking in the latest version.  I fixed one but the other error that is
produced does not actually seem to be an error.  It reports "Content model
of "blah" is not determinist".

Question 1
Is it possible that a content model be determinist and through some error
not be? and are validation error like warnings that or errors in that they
stop further progress?

Question 2
My program continues after out this validation error and outputs Error:
Failed to load external entity.  It seems from the e-mails I have read that
is is related to a file reading problem with windows but I have not been
able to fix it.  Is there something special that must be done to the file
formats for windows?

Thanks