RE: [xml] initGenericErrorDefaultFunc weirdness.

Umm, well, maybe.  Take a look at the implementation of
initGenericErrorDefaultFunc():

void
initGenericErrorDefaultFunc(xmlGenericErrorFunc * handler)
{
    if (handler == NULL)
        xmlGenericError = xmlGenericErrorDefaultFunc;
    else
        (*handler) = xmlGenericErrorDefaultFunc;
}

handler is a pointer to function pointer in order to allow
initGenericErrorDefaultFunc() to stuff a value into it.  Passing a
pointer to the address of an actual function is pointless (so to speak)
at best, catastrophic at worst.  You should either pass NULL or the
address of a function pointer variable:

xmlGenericErrorFunc handler;
initGenericErrorDefaultFunc(&handler);
/* do something with handler if desired, perhaps calling the function it
points to if it's not NULL */

Caveat: this is based purely on an inspection of the code.  I'm not
quite sure what initGenericErrorDefaultFunc() does, or what you're
trying to accomplish, but I have the feeling it's not doing what you
want done.