[Fwd: Re: [xml] doing an xml diff]

Hi All,
        I realise now that I replied to this offlist to the original sender,
since my answer was not libxml related. However, perhaps this may be of use to others amongst you too:

EPCC has recently developed an XMLDiff utility.
You can find it at:

https://forge.nesc.ac.uk/projects/xmldiff/

They are dead keen for peole to use it/ test it, or at least to Download it.

It works with a "rule (metric) document" which specifies Xpath queries to the thingies you want to compare. Thus you can diff only bits of the document you
care about -- ie if you add a new feature which produces extra XML -- you can
ignore it in the comparisons when you check that the OLD results are still correct. Its in Java. See the README files. It can even do fuzzy compares within an epsilon for floating point number. (This was a primary requirement, for us to do regression testing of numerical software).

    All the best,
        Balint

Dr Balint Joo                         Post Doctoral Research Fellow
School of Physics
University of Edinburgh
Mayfield Road, Edinburgh EH9 3JZ
Scotland UK
Tel: 0131 650 6469 (from UK) +44-131-650-6469 (from outwith UK)
Fax: 0131 650 5902 (from UK) +44-131-650-5902 (from outwith UK)
email: bj ph ed ac uk           bj phys columbia edu
WWW  : http://www.ph.ed.ac.uk/~bj
--- Begin Message ---
Try XMLDiff, recently written by EPCC.
You can find it at:

https://forge.nesc.ac.uk/projects/xmldiff/

They are dead keen for peole to use it/ test it.

It works with a "rule document" which specifies Xpath queries to the thingies
you want to compare. Its in Java. See the README files. It can even do fuzzy
compares within an epsilon for floating point number.

        All the best,
                Balint

Aamer Akhter wrote:
Hello,

This question isn't specific to libxml2:

Is there a list/review of XML diff utilities/libraries that anyone is
aware of? There seem to bunch out there but they seem to be in a state
of disrepair, or provide a huge change set for just simple leaf
element node disappearing.

Dr Balint Joo                         Post Doctoral Research Fellow
School of Physics
University of Edinburgh
Mayfield Road, Edinburgh EH9 3JZ
Scotland UK
Tel: 0131 650 6469 (from UK) +44-131-650-6469 (from outwith UK)
Fax: 0131 650 5902 (from UK) +44-131-650-5902 (from outwith UK)
email: bj ph ed ac uk           bj phys columbia edu
WWW  : http://www.ph.ed.ac.uk/~bj

--- End Message ---