[xml] XML_XINCLUDE_START/END nodes

What is the purpose of these nodes other than to marking the beginning and end of xincluded documents?

I have a dom implementation which after passing the document through an xinclude process, contains these nodes. Looking through the dom and xinclude specs, I couldnt find any reference to these nodes, so can these just be removed from the tree after the xinclude processing or do they provide some additional functionality which would need to be handled in the dom implementation?

Thanks,

Rob