[xml] Re: Libxml symbols

Jacob Rohde wrote:

I'm in dire straits here :-) and could really need some help. I'm compiling a project using VS7.1 and libxml2-2.6.6. When compiling I'm
linking with the libxml2.lib file but I get some unresolved externals:
error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _xmlFree I would really appreciate any info, ideas or help on this.

Visual Studio .NET isn't supported, in any version. It's copiler links to the "wrong" runtime (msvcr71.dll instead of msvcrt.dll) and there is no way to change that short of patching the compiler binaries with a hex editor.

This is an upcoming issue which I must deal with somehow. At the moment, noone can upgrade to VC 7 easily. Those who do must build their own binaries. I still don't know what to do about this. Stay tuned, I'll post a separate message and explain the matters in more detail in the near future.

If you want to use that compiler now, you will have to recompile everything. Iconv, zlib, libxml, everything. This has nothing to do with the error you get above, but you are advised to go that way because you'll have crashes otherwise. Your problem will likely dissapear then as well.

Ciao,
Igor